Friday, August 15, 2014

The Week in Geek 8/13/14

My comic reviews for the week are available on Black Nerd Problems for your viewing pleasure. As always feel free to like, share, comment, fling poo at anything you love or hate. This week, I took a look at.....

Batman Eternal: Just in terms of going from last week to this week, this has mainly gotten back to being a good book to look at. A story that was mainly about Batman skulking around in the sewers looking for a killer shouldn't be so visually vanilla. This week was a huge improvement....except for two things.

First of all, this is the second week in a row where this book has made Jason Bard look like a complete doofus for the greater good of making Batman look cool.

Look at this:

You've got Batman going all headfirst into action. Killer Croc looking as menacing as ever like he's about to "Hulk Smash" whoever the fuck they're about to fight. And there Jason Bard, Gotham's new top cop, carefully rappelling down the fucking chasm. Granted, there's virtually no way to make a regular guy look cool while climbing, but still. They couldn't have given him a rope or something?

Second: Red Hood's mask. This is a problem and I'm not sure why its disquieted my soul so thoroughly but, goddamnit, it has. It's just gaudy as fuck. I mean, look!!!

You can't tell me that doesn't provoke some questions. Does it mold to his lips? Does he talk through the mouth? Is that mouth supposed to be  moving and we're missing it? I shouldn't be spending this much time asking this many questions about a mouth that doesn't belong to Rosario Dawson. I'm just sayin. Fix this shit, DC.

Batman: Okay, this is a nice way to follow up Zero Year. Instead of throwing us right into the next thing, Scott Snyder and Gerry Duggan give us a grace period and use this mainly one-shot issue to get us used to not having Greg Capullo around. Duggan's style is tailor made for hard boiled detective shit which is exactly what Bats gets down to here. I'm very much looking forward to what this creative team has in store.

All New X-Men: I thought I was going to miss Stuart Immonen on this book because, as much as I love Brian Bendis, he did the title a lot of favors visually. But Sara Pichelli has taken the torch and carried the fucking thing like she's been there all along. There are going to be some people that don't like this book because they feel every issue of a superhero book HAS to be about people beating the shit out of each other (though, in fairness, it's been so long since the X-family got along, readers might have forgotten what that looks like and doesn't really know how to respond). This is really no different than an episode of a television show devoted to character development. If you can sit through a whole hour of Heisenberg trying to kill a fly, I don't see why you can't read through this.

And now, in closing, the most awkward but necessary transition EVER....

So, with the turmoil in Ferguson and the untimely departure of Robin Williams, it's safe to say that this week was a particularly maudlin one. This doesn't have much to do with comics and I hate to feel like I'm ambushing you guys with some soapbox shit at the end of an emotional week, but suicide strikes a certain nerve with me, so you're gonna have to bare with me today.

If you know someone who's having a tough time to a point where they might consider hurting themselves or if you're having a hard time, hear me now. Tell someone. Tell anyone. Tell me if you have to. The only way we make it to tomorrow is together and trust me when I say this: We Want You Here. There's too many wonders in this world for us to not want to share them. There's no shame in reaching the end of your rope if there's someone waiting at the end of it to catch you. Don't let the darkness consume you. Don't wait. Don't stay silent. Don't hesitate. There's love all around if you look for it. 

1-800-273-TALK
suicide.org
crisistextline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment