Friday, September 12, 2014

The Week In Geek 9/10/14

So, this week, the second issue in the Death of Wolverine dropped. I'm not going to give some in depth overview of the story or dissect the event. Because I'm not reading it. I just plain have no desire to see how Wolverine meets his end for at least the third time I can think of. I think this represents two different sides of the same problem. First and foremost, it's indicative of the overall fan fatigue brought on by years of oversaturation. I mean, let's face it. At one point not too long ago, Wolverine was the centerpiece for 3 different solo(ish) ventures, 3 X-Men titles, 2 Avengers titles all at once. And let's not forget he was basically the star of the first 3 X-films on top of his two solo movies. It's easy to see how people could get fed up with the little fella.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel like this is also the result of fandom reaping what it sowed. There was a time when fans wanted All Wolverine Everything. If he was on the cover of something, that something sold twice as much as it would have without him. He was like the Spock of X-Men. Of course, Spock wasn't simultaneously the captain of two Starships, a Federation space station, a Romulan Warbird and organizing Klingon Poker Night on Thursdays, but still....fans LOVED Wolverine and so comicdom gave them all the Wolverine they could stand. I'm just sayin....there's an ebb and flow.

Besides, we all know he'll be back. The only death so far I've been led to believe is going to stick for the forseeable future is Charles Xavier. I mean, the X-Men have been mourning him for two or three years now. Usually, there's an underlying agenda to make sure you're not comfortable with that character being gone because We All Know They'll Be Back. It's been two years since Avengers vs. X-Men and Marvel is STILL putting Professor X in the ground. Even now, two years later, Uncanny X-Men's latest story arc is "The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier." It's like every other month, they're saying "No, seriously. He's dead. Don't wait up." Now, don't get me wrong. This doesn't mean it's a done deal that he's gone forever, but Marvel's biggest non-Spider Man cash cow gone forever when there's another X-Men movie AND solo sequel in the pipeline (honestly, those movies are so awful, they're better promo for the comics than vice versa)? Not gonna happen.

Anyway, my comic reviews for the week are available at Black Nerd Problems for your viewing pleasure. Also, make sure to give the follow up to my Black Panther analysis a look. Feel free to click, comment, share at your leisure. This week, I took a look at:

Batman Eternal: Probably one of the best issues of the series. This book is a lot more effective now that Scott Snyder's overall plotline is getting down to brass tacks. I really enjoy the return of Hush, but I can't help but feel like he's been used enough that his "holy shit" factor may have dwindled slightly. I think time will tell as the next phase of the new big bad's plan for Gotham gets even worse.

Ms. Marvel: First of all, this is one of the best looking books in Marvel's rotation. Easily. Adrian Alphona never fails to deliver these fantastic moments that, on their own, could convey the tone and emotion of the book as a whole. There is no more priceless moment than Kamala Khan pouncing on Lockjaw (as much as a dog like that will allow, anyway), loving on him like he's a damned teddy bear. Second, this is one of the most well-written books in Marvel's rotation hands down. G. Willow Wilson is doing a great job of keeping this book interesting and I'm so excited to see where else it can go.

Batman- Future's End #1: This was an awesome one shot future vision. I have to admit...ever since the "Epilogue" episode of Justice League Unlimited, I'm a complete sucker for the "There Must Always Be A Batman In "Gotham City" line of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment