Saturday, May 31, 2014

Stuff I Read This Week 5/28/14

My comic review picks for Black Nerd Problems this week are up and available for your enjoyment (or dismay). Here's a few notes on the books I took a look at.

Ms. Marvel #4: It's really hard not to love this book. Marvel seems to be doing really well with their more "quiet-as-kept" titles like this and Daredevil and this seem to be taking it quite seriously. The only thing I'm really wondering about is whether or not Kamala Khan will (or should) be immersed fully into the Marvel superhero community. Sure, it's canon, but there are a handful of titles that have historically worked better secluded from large crossovers and team ups (Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, various Punisher titles, Daredevil). I'm curious as to what's going to happen if G. Willow Wilson decides to veer off into team-up territory.

Batman #30: Without repeating myself too much, it's really hard not to love Scott Snyder's take on Batman. I mean, this is easily one of the best books in comics. Snyder has such an engaging take on Batman, but another really commendable act is in the fact that he really gives plentiful amounts of glory to Jim Gordon. He's always eyeing his options, rarely gives up and takes as many death defying risks as Batman himself. If there were a cop as tough, determined and incorruptible as him in real life, he would hailed by the media as a borderline rockstar.

Batman Eternal #8: I really have spent the past eight issues or so eating my words about how most weekly books just don't work out as well as they could for DC. Batman Eternal, even in spite of some strange hiccups in artwork here and there, is a exercise in damn good superheroing. This particular issue stands out for me as the best looking of the series so far. I'm almost inclined to say that my review didn't stress nearly enough that Guillem March's pencils here are SICK. His "night in the life of" depiction of Batman in the first few pages was absolutely EPIC. I am, however, wondering how long Snyder long game is going to take in getting us to the fast forward we saw in the teaser issue of Batman a few months back.

No comments:

Post a Comment