Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Week In Geek 12/24/14

So, this week saw me with a pull list WAY over my usual budget which is good because it takes a lot of comics to wash the taste of AXIS out of my mouth. I feels like my editor and I (we took turns reviewing it for Black Nerd Problems) are finally free from an evil curse placed upon us by the Comic Gods. I was going to do an "Anatomy of a Comic" piece, dissecting why it was so horrible, but honestly, I'd like to relive as little of that as possible.

This is probably why I think the Comic Gods for the existence of Black Science. This is easily one of my favorite comic books of the past ten years. I mean, if you're into comics and not reading this book, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's so good, it's sort of hard to mentally resolve the fact that Rick Remender writes this AND Axis. He takes the Lost in Space concept and completely turns it on its ear so effectively that the book's Evil Dr. Smith ends up becoming the hero. And Matteo Scalera's artwork is essentially above reproach. For him to create so many new, unique seeming worlds for the characters to jump to without much repetition is a fairly outstanding accomplishment. For me, someone who reviews books weekly and tries to be as meticulous as a comic reader can about his budget, the highest compliment I can give is that I have NEVER finished a single issue of Black Science, wondering if I was going to be back for the next one. There have been times when I was ready to drop Batman Eternal and I love that book. Furthermore, it's one of those books that makes the case for non-superhero comics. Image is really prevailing as a top shelf refuge for people that want a break from the Big Two. It comes with as high a recommendation as I can think to give outside of just walking around and handing the goddamned book to people.

My reviews for the week are up and available on Black Nerd Problems for your viewing pleasure. This week, I took a look at....

Avengers/X-Men: Axis- (see first paragraph)

Batman Eternal: Although I really enjoyed this issue, it's a shame the action slowed down because this book is proving to be at its most effective when Batman is punching people in the face while teaching Alfred's daughter how to run operations for him. The whole "Batman on a Budget" concept is pretty awesome, though.

Uncanny X-Men: As much as I enjoy reading Cyclops having it out in a duel of ideologies with pretty much every branch of the X-family there is (because that's a lot of what this book has been thus far), it would be really nice if this book picked up speed again only because I want to know more about Charles Xavier being married to Mystique. Because at this point, she could write a tell all book about the men of the mutant community a la Karrine Steffans.

No comments:

Post a Comment