Saturday, June 14, 2014

Stuff I Read This Week 6/11/14

My comic reviews for this week on Black Nerd Problems are now up and available for public consumption.

Batman Eternal: Okay, I think I'm developing a crush on this book. I mentioned this in the review, but it's sort of addictive in the same way a weekly television show is. One problem is that there are issues where it feels like it crams an hour worth a material into a half hour format. This can be disorienting depending on who's handling script duties that week, but it's sort of a minor problem so far. I can see that the REAL issue with this book from week to week is going to be artwork. Different artists trying to maintain the same aesthetic has has mixed results at best. The visuals have been mainly fantastic lately, but this week's character designs were unforgivable. This is still a solid book, but being a weekly title sort of subjects it to having more issues than a conventional monthly or biweekly book.


All New X-Men: This has been a strong book from the start but this particular run is stellar. It's a really great balance of action and exposition. As much as I love Brian Bendis, he has a habit of leaning heavy one way or the other. He did a great job of keeping things exciting while giving some real gravitas to Charles Xavier Jr (they've REALLY got to come up with some kind of codename for that guy).

Uncanny X-Men Special: Look, I'm not bashing this book, per se. You'll know when I'm bashing a book. It's very apparent. So, no, I don't hate this book. It's really funny and it's a good example of maintaining elements of another writer's aesthetic. But the first issue of any good comic should be the one that justifies the book's existence. It should say right away, "This is why I've gathered you all here today." This book didn't. I hope it at least tries to not seem like a cash grab and an excuse to put Iron Man in stuff (since his own book was a very well put-together "meh" the last time I read it).

No comments:

Post a Comment